What Is the Nice Agreement?
Protect Your Brand
Instant Results and Analysis. Easy-to-use.
More than eighty countries have formally joined the verbosely-titled Nice Agreement Concerning the International Classification of Goods and Services for the Purposes of Registration of Marks, concluded in 1957 and amended several times since. It obligates member countries to adopt and use the “international classification” system for classifying goods and services in a consistent way. The scheme has been so successful that many other jurisdictions have adopted the international classification system without joining the Nice Agreement. Accession to the Paris Convention for the Protection of Industrial Property is a prerequisite of Nice Agreement accession; for more on the Paris Convention, see our guide "What Is the Paris Convention?" A Committee of Experts periodically updates the classification; the most recent update went into force in 2012.
You can view a list of current Nice Agreement members on the World Intellectual Property Organization’s website here. For more details on the international classification system, please read our guide "What Is an International Class In a Trademark Application?"
- What Jurisdictions Are Available for Searching?
- What Is a Trademark?
- What Factors Go Into Picking a "Good" Trademark?
- How Much Are Trademarks Worth?
- What Is the Difference Between a Trademark, a Copyright, and a Patent?
- How Do I Get Trademark Protection?
- Why Should I Do a Clearance Search for a Trademark?
- What Is the Benefit of Registering a Trademark With the USPTO?
- What Is the Cost To File a Trademark Application?
- What Is an International Class In a Trademark Application?
- What Are Goods and Services In a Trademark Application?
- What Does an Examining Attorney Look For When Reviewing a Trademark Application?
- When Is There a Likelihood of Confusion Between Two Marks?
- What Is an Acceptable Specimen of Use?
- What Is the Difference Between the Principal Register and the Supplemental Register?
- How Long Does It Take To Register a Trademark?
- How Long Does a Trademark Last?
- What Is the Madrid Protocol?
- What Is the Nice Agreement?
- What Is the Paris Convention?
- How Do I Properly Use My Trademark?
- How Do I Protect My Trademark?
- What Trademark Symbol Should I Use?
- What Is Trademark Infringement?
- How Do Trademark Rights Relate to Domain Names (and What Is a UDRP)?
- How Do Trademark Rights Relate to Business Name Rights?
- How Do I Form a Business Entity?