How Do I Form a Business Entity?
Protect Your Brand
Instant Results and Analysis. Easy-to-use.
A new business can choose from a wide range of business entity structures. Most provide the owner some degree of limited liability - insulating personal assets from access by creditors, customers, or business partners. There are many several main types of business entities: corporations, limited liability companies, and partnerships. The former two need to be registered with the Secretary of State in which they are created; the latter generally does not.
Most corporations, known as “C Corporations,” are taxed as its own entity, but “S Corporations” can “pass through” all tax liabilities to their owners. Setting up a corporation requires the creation of Articles of Incorporation (filed with the state) and operating bylaws and resolutions (not filed with the state). Corporations tend to have more administrative requirements than limited liability companies, the other main option.
Limited liability companies can be treated as corporations for tax purposes, or “pass through” all tax liabilities to their owners. Setting up a limited liability company requires creating Articles of Organization (filed with the state) and an Operating Agreement (not filed with the state).
After creating your business entity, you will almost certainly need to get some combination of federal, state, or local business licenses in order to lawfully operate your business.
If you want to create your own business organization documents or license documents from a professionally prepared form, or get attorney or tax help in the process, we suggest using LegalZoom.
- What Jurisdictions Are Available for Searching?
- What Is a Trademark?
- What Factors Go Into Picking a "Good" Trademark?
- How Much Are Trademarks Worth?
- What Is the Difference Between a Trademark, a Copyright, and a Patent?
- How Do I Get Trademark Protection?
- Why Should I Do a Clearance Search for a Trademark?
- What Is the Benefit of Registering a Trademark With the USPTO?
- What Is the Cost To File a Trademark Application?
- What Is an International Class In a Trademark Application?
- What Are Goods and Services In a Trademark Application?
- What Does an Examining Attorney Look For When Reviewing a Trademark Application?
- When Is There a Likelihood of Confusion Between Two Marks?
- What Is an Acceptable Specimen of Use?
- What Is the Difference Between the Principal Register and the Supplemental Register?
- How Long Does It Take To Register a Trademark?
- How Long Does a Trademark Last?
- What Is the Madrid Protocol?
- What Is the Nice Agreement?
- What Is the Paris Convention?
- How Do I Properly Use My Trademark?
- How Do I Protect My Trademark?
- What Trademark Symbol Should I Use?
- What Is Trademark Infringement?
- How Do Trademark Rights Relate to Domain Names (and What Is a UDRP)?
- How Do Trademark Rights Relate to Business Name Rights?
- How Do I Form a Business Entity?