How Much Are Trademarks Worth?
Protect Your Brand
Instant Results and Analysis. Easy-to-use.
Trademarks can have no value, or can be very valuable indeed – it all depends on the business associated with the mark!
Trademarks embody consumer recognition and goodwill
Because trademarks represent consumer recognition and goodwill, they can be extraordinarily valuable assets, both in absolute terms and as a portion of a company’s overall value. For example, in 2015, marketing experts Interbrand estimated the value of the APPLE brand at $170 billion (of a $646 billion market capitalization), GOOGLE at $120 billion (of $493b), and COCA-COLA at $78 billion (of $180b). Marks used for products or services that never gain traction in the marketplace, by contrast, may have essentially no value.
Trademarks can last forever
Trademarks are somewhat unique as a type of intellectual property because a trademark can last forever, so long as it remains in use and does not become non-distinctive for the product or service for which it is used. This longevity can significantly impact the value of trademarks as assets.
For example, the DISNEY mark will be protectable for so long as the company continues to use it. Its value grows or shrinks based on the continuing quality of the company’s products and services. Compare this to patents, which protect novel ideas for 20 years, and to copyright, which protects unique expressions of ideas, and where most corporate-created works are protected for 95 years. The value of, say, “Steamboat Willy,” the original Mickey Mouse cartoon, will drop substantially when that cartoon is no longer protected from copying; the mouse ears as a trademark, by contrast, can retain their value for as long as they remain a source identifier.
- What Jurisdictions Are Available for Searching?
- What Is a Trademark?
- What Factors Go Into Picking a "Good" Trademark?
- How Much Are Trademarks Worth?
- What Is the Difference Between a Trademark, a Copyright, and a Patent?
- How Do I Get Trademark Protection?
- Why Should I Do a Clearance Search for a Trademark?
- What Is the Benefit of Registering a Trademark With the USPTO?
- What Is the Cost To File a Trademark Application?
- What Is an International Class In a Trademark Application?
- What Are Goods and Services In a Trademark Application?
- What Does an Examining Attorney Look For When Reviewing a Trademark Application?
- When Is There a Likelihood of Confusion Between Two Marks?
- What Is an Acceptable Specimen of Use?
- What Is the Difference Between the Principal Register and the Supplemental Register?
- How Long Does It Take To Register a Trademark?
- How Long Does a Trademark Last?
- What Is the Madrid Protocol?
- What Is the Nice Agreement?
- What Is the Paris Convention?
- How Do I Properly Use My Trademark?
- How Do I Protect My Trademark?
- What Trademark Symbol Should I Use?
- What Is Trademark Infringement?
- How Do Trademark Rights Relate to Domain Names (and What Is a UDRP)?
- How Do Trademark Rights Relate to Business Name Rights?
- How Do I Form a Business Entity?