What Does an Examining Attorney Look For When Reviewing a Trademark Application?
Protect Your Brand
Free Trademark Search
Instant Results and Analysis. Easy-to-use.
The Examining Attorneys who review trademark applications at the United States Patent & Trademark Office review applications for compliance with a number of requirements. Some of the key issues are:
- Likelihood of confusion with prior pending applications or active registrations. For more about the likelihood of confusion analysis, you can read our guide "When Is There a Likelihood of Confusion Between Two Marks?" Use TrademarkClear.com for your own instant, free trademark search report identifying potential registration risks.
- Whether the mark is distinctive. For more on the spectrum of distinctiveness, you can read our guide "What Factors Go Into Picking a "Good" Trademark?" TrademarkClear.com’s instant trademark search analysis provides you with an analysis of the strength of the component parts of a proposed mark.
- Whether there are any other substantive issues. Additional issues can include whether the mark is disparaging or scandalous, whether it suggests a connection with a person, and more.
- Whether all application formalities have been complied with. The most common issues are (1) whether the descriptions of goods and services are specific and clear enough and classified in the correct international class and (2) whether the specimens of use provided by the applicant are sufficient. You can read more about international classes here, about goods and services here, and about specimens of use here. Other formalities include disclaimers of generic or descriptive terms, translations of any non-English wording in the mark, a description of any design elements in the mark, claims of prior registrations for the same or similar marks, and more.
- What Jurisdictions Are Available for Searching?
- What Is a Trademark?
- What Factors Go Into Picking a "Good" Trademark?
- How Much Are Trademarks Worth?
- What Is the Difference Between a Trademark, a Copyright, and a Patent?
- How Do I Get Trademark Protection?
- Why Should I Do a Clearance Search for a Trademark?
- What Is the Benefit of Registering a Trademark With the USPTO?
- What Is the Cost To File a Trademark Application?
- What Is an International Class In a Trademark Application?
- What Are Goods and Services In a Trademark Application?
- What Does an Examining Attorney Look For When Reviewing a Trademark Application?
- When Is There a Likelihood of Confusion Between Two Marks?
- What Is an Acceptable Specimen of Use?
- What Is the Difference Between the Principal Register and the Supplemental Register?
- How Long Does It Take To Register a Trademark?
- How Long Does a Trademark Last?
- What Is the Madrid Protocol?
- What Is the Nice Agreement?
- What Is the Paris Convention?
- How Do I Properly Use My Trademark?
- How Do I Protect My Trademark?
- What Trademark Symbol Should I Use?
- What Is Trademark Infringement?
- How Do Trademark Rights Relate to Domain Names (and What Is a UDRP)?
- How Do Trademark Rights Relate to Business Name Rights?
- How Do I Form a Business Entity?