How Do Trademark Rights Relate to Business Name Rights?
Protect Your Brand
Instant Results and Analysis. Easy-to-use.
Trademark rights and business name rights are related but not identical. Registration of a business entity name is completed by a Secretary of State’s office, which performs a limited check to make sure there is not an essentially identical business entity already in existence. The company’s name and the company’s main mark may share their essential features – for example, our company name “TM TKO, LLC” differs from our TM TKO® mark only slightly.
A business name may not necessarily generate trademark rights if the name is not used in a public-facing capacity. For instance, a restaurant franchisee may have an unassuming company name that is used mainly for contracts, like “4th & Main Restaurant Co., Inc.”, but interact with the consuming public exclusively under the mark McDonald’s®.
- What Jurisdictions Are Available for Searching?
- What Is a Trademark?
- What Factors Go Into Picking a "Good" Trademark?
- How Much Are Trademarks Worth?
- What Is the Difference Between a Trademark, a Copyright, and a Patent?
- How Do I Get Trademark Protection?
- Why Should I Do a Clearance Search for a Trademark?
- What Is the Benefit of Registering a Trademark With the USPTO?
- What Is the Cost To File a Trademark Application?
- What Is an International Class In a Trademark Application?
- What Are Goods and Services In a Trademark Application?
- What Does an Examining Attorney Look For When Reviewing a Trademark Application?
- When Is There a Likelihood of Confusion Between Two Marks?
- What Is an Acceptable Specimen of Use?
- What Is the Difference Between the Principal Register and the Supplemental Register?
- How Long Does It Take To Register a Trademark?
- How Long Does a Trademark Last?
- What Is the Madrid Protocol?
- What Is the Nice Agreement?
- What Is the Paris Convention?
- How Do I Properly Use My Trademark?
- How Do I Protect My Trademark?
- What Trademark Symbol Should I Use?
- What Is Trademark Infringement?
- How Do Trademark Rights Relate to Domain Names (and What Is a UDRP)?
- How Do Trademark Rights Relate to Business Name Rights?
- How Do I Form a Business Entity?